Monday, May 26, 2008

The smell of black oil on the rain-covered pavement

(changing my friend's oil 5/29/2008)
Memorial Day May 26, 2008

SOMEONE IN HEAVEN: "so how did you die?"
ME: "well there we were looking up at the undercarriage of my car changing my oil..."

On Friday my friend Levi was changing my other friend's oil. I was about to pull out of the parking lot to go get my oil changed when I spotted him and told him of the coincidence of it all. He offered to change mine for me another day and teach me. Heck yes!

That day was today my friend.
After cruisin' to Wal-Mart and snagging an oil filter and some oil we jacked up my car. It was sprinkling out and the sky was a dingey gray. It reminded me of Washington - and reminded Levi of Alaska. But here we are in Utah - our legs protruding from beneath the car - the rain picking up now and water running off the car and onto our legs. It was cold and my hands lost their ability to work well.

With the right tools we painstakingly unscrewed the too-tight bolt on the oil pan. Scraped knuckles and a bruised funny bone later - the old oil was spilling from the car and into a plastic pan. There were a few times where the thought crossed our minds: "what if the jack was to fail"
I also imagined it falling while I was on my side - think of all those broken bones! That would sucketh.

In the end everything worked how it should and I was left with a well-oiled machine and a hand/arm that smells of old oil. Oh and neither one of us died on this Memorial day :)

1 comment:

Nicolette said...

Yah, I'm glad you have a blog now!
Your detailed description of your oil changing experience made me feel as if I was there experiencing it myself... which I never have before I might add. You have such skill.