Saturday, August 23, 2008

The things we think we see.

Two friends of mine asked me if I was interested in running a half marathon with them. At that time I had lost my motivation to run - so I figured it would be good for me to work toward something, eventually I signed up last min to run the Provo Half Marathon.

To "train" for it I was running 5 miles in the mornings and 3.5 miles as fast as I could up and back through a canyon in the evenings then 10-11 miles once a week - for only 2 weeks. The canyon runs I did with a gal on the SUU cross country team named Lisa Tubb. We would run it in around 6.5-7.24 min miles - which was super high effort for me and medium effort for her.

For our 11 mile run we decided to do it at night. We began our run around 9 pm on a Friday. We started running in town near Wal-Mart and ended in a very rural part of town where with every step we took small farms started to surface. It was very dark and it became rare that a car would pass by us.

While running Lisa and I were startled by a fast-moving iridescent object which ran from the street into the field to our right. To me it didn't look like an animal because it looked as though it had two legs - but also didn't look human.

I started to freak out a little - letting my imagination get the best o me. I thought of the movie Signs were the Alien runs into the field of corn, and the most you see of it is its skinny, creepy legs. Did I mention my biggest fear is Aliens? My next thought was that of Skin Walkers. Lisa thought it was a ghost - but we both decided to pretend it was a deer so that we could turn the corner near where it turned and continue running. We ran it in under 8 min miles :)

Oh we still don't know what we saw - it was too dark.

No comments: